Welcome Dr. Caroline Ritter as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Management. Dr. Ritter completed a PhD at the University of Calgary and held a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship with the University of British Columbia’s Animal Welfare Program before joining CVER. As part of her research, Dr. Ritter explores the potential of improving animal health and welfare through a better understanding of the decisions made by animal owners and custodians. Her work will combine social science, veterinary epidemiology, and animal welfare research to bring forth new advancements in animal care best practice.
April – June 2020
- Congratulations to Emily John who has successfully defended her PhD Examination;
- Supervisors: J. McClure and M. Cameron
- Congratulations to Jamye Rouette who has successfully defended her MSc Examination;
- Supervisors: Kathleen MacMillan, Michael Cockram and Javier Sanchez
January – March 2020
- Welcome Dr. Katy Proudfoot as an Associate Professor and Director of the Sir James Dunn Animal Welfare Centre. After completing her MSc and PhD at the University of British Columbia’s Animal Welfare Program, Dr. Proudfoot was a faculty member at the Ohio State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. Her research focuses on the behaviour and welfare of dairy cattle, with a specific emphasis on understanding maternal behavior of cows before giving birth. She is also interested in creating sustainable solutions to surplus male calves from the dairy industry, and conducting scholarly work around teaching animal welfare to veterinary students.
- Welcome to visiting graduate students:
- Passawat Thammahakin and Thitiwich Changtes from Kasetsart University in Thailand
- Local supervisor: Javier Sanchez