- CVER seminar by Dr. Michael McIsaac on Thursday April 18 from 3 – 3:45 pm in AVC Lecture Theatre B, followed by CVER Coffee Social in AVC 343N. Click Michael_McIsaac_Seminar_April_18 for the details.
February – March 2019
- Welcome Dr. Ezekiel Omoshaba from Nigeria.
Dr. Omoshaba is a lecturer in Veterinary Microbiology from University of Agriculture, Abeokuta Nigeria. He is here at the AVC for 1 year to work on the research aspect of Ph.D. on Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Ezekiel will be working with Dr. J McClure.
- Congratulations to Mohamed Afifi for successfully passing the comprehensive exams for his PhD program at UPEI.
- Congratulations to Peter Kimeli for successfully passing the comprehensive exams for his PhD program at UPEI.
- Congratulations to Dennis Makau and Joan Muraya who have successfully defended their PhD theses;
- Supervisor: John VanLeeuwen
- Welcome João Romero as the new graduate student: Master in Epidemiology
- Supervisor: Ian Gardner
- Welcome Ana María Colonia visiting with us from January to May 2019. During her stay, Ana works under Dr. Javier Sanchez’s supervision.
Ana is a Chemical Engineer with a master’s degree in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. She is a full-time student at the Agricultural Sciences Doctorate Program at Universidad de Caldas, Colombia. In 2018, Ana was awarded with the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP) scholarship from the Government of Canada. During her exchange period from January to May 2019, Ana will be working with Dr. Javier Sanchez. Her PhD Project aims at identifying bacteriocins with potential use in mastitis treatment, a disease that economically affects milk producers and impacts directly on public health. She will be assessing these bacteriocins using a bank of mastitis pathogens from Colombia and Canada with different antimicrobial resistance profiles. Ana believes that the experience of this exchange program is of tremendous value to her PhD program, and will strengthen her doctoral study and broaden the spectrum of evaluation of bacteriocin activity. In addition, Ana is very excited to be able to learn more about Canada, the culture and cold winter!